Healthy Turkey Tacos Recipe
My kids ask me to make these Healthy Turkey Tacos so often, I'm starting to think they may not be Italian! Little do they know how healthy they are because I hide so many veggies and superfoods into the meat mixture. Never again feel guilty about weekly taco night...these are seriously my go-to each and every Tuesday!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup riced cauliflower riced broccoli works too
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 15 oz black beans canned
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 6 flour tortillas can use taco shells or lettuce too
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp oregano
Add all the seasoning together in a bowl. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the carrots and riced cauliflower and cook for 4-5 minutes or until soft.
Add the ground turkey to the pan and season with salt & pepper. Using a cooking spoon, break the meat up and toss around until browned - about 7-10 mins
Once the meat is browned, add the seasoning. Mix all together and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the meat is fully coated with the seasoning.
Add the black beans. OPTIONAL STEP - using a masher, mash up the meat & beans mixture until the beans are all split and mashed up (this is how we hide it from our kids :)
Serve hot on the taco of your choice (lettuce works here too) with your favorite toppings!
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream or greek yogurt (healthier), guacamole, salsa, chopped tomatoes
- This will make about 6-7 medium tacos. We (2 adults, 2 children under 10) double up on this recipe all the time and I will always have 2-3 tacos left over for lunch the next day.
- Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking method and ingredients used. It's advised you calculate your own nutritional values if needed.
Calories: 334kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 28gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 291mgPotassium: 718mgFiber: 9gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 4009IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 81mgIron: 4mg