How hot do you wanna go with your Shrimp Fra Diavolo?? With this dish, it’s totally up to you. Go easy on the red pepper or go heavy…either way you’ll love the flavor and heat this shrimp recipe brings.
You have two options with this recipe. You can add the rice into the dish at the end of cooking or you can top it all over the rice before you serve it. I did a little bit of both when I cooked this….it gave it a nice flavor. Or if you want to go all out…put it over some spaghetti 🙂
The first step in this recipe is to season the shrimp with some salt and red pepper flakes. This is where you decide how hot you’re going to go with this dish. I put 1 tsp for 1 pound of shrimp but if you like it with more kick…get after it!
Some fresh basil and fresh parsley add the finishing touch to this Fra Diavolo dish.
HOW TO MAKE SHRIMP FRA DIAVOLO IN 3 EASY STEPS
- Season the shrimp with salt and red pepper. Heat some olive oil in a pan, add shrimp and barely cook them through. 2-3 minutes. Remove shrimp and keep warm.
- Add the onions. Cook until tender - about 5 minutes. Add the wine, garlic, tomatoes, and oregano. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp back and cook for a minute then add the parsley and basil.
AND VIOLA…YOU HAVE YOURSELF A NICE SPICY FRA DIAVOLO!
Shrimp Fra Diovolo
- Cook the brown rice per the instructions. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, season the shrimp with the salt and red pepper. Toss to combine.
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a medium sized pan. Add the shrimp. Cook for a minute or so on one side, flip and cook for another minute or 2 until just cooked through.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan, cover and keep warm.
- Add the onions and a little bit of olive oil and cook until soft. About 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and oregano. Cook everything for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the shrimp back. Cook for a minute and add the basil and parsley.
- Remove from heat and serve hot over the brown rice.