This Rigatoni with meat sauce (aka Rigatoni Bolognese) recipe is loaded with flavor. Quick, easy and delicious...it will have you salivating for next Sunday!
I’ve been making Bolognese sauce for a long time and I think the key is the rigatoni. It’s big, thick and has a lot of space to get that meat sauce all up in there. If you’re making bolognese, try it with rigatoni…it will not disappoint!
Rigatoni with Meat Sauce (Bolognese)
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 lb ground beef grass-fed; can also use sausage too
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine optional; can use white wine too
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes canned
- 14.5 oz beef broth canned
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb rigatoni
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese optional; grated
- Heat some oil in a large pot, add the onions, carrot, and celery. Season with salt & pepper. Cook for about 10 mins or until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant - about a minute.
- Add the ground beef. Season with salt & pepper. Cook until browned about 5 mins.
- Add the red wine (if using), tomato paste, and Italian seasoning. Cook until red wine is cooked off or if not using, until all the paste and seasoning is mixed in.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, beef broth and bay leaves. Mix all together and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes (cover if you’d like a more liquidy sauce). Stir occasionally.
- Heat a pot of salted water until boiling. Add the pasta when there is about 10 minutes left on the sauce. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Add the cream and cheese (if using) to the sauce. Mix all together and cook until cream is heated - about 5 minutes.