This orecchiette and broccoli rabe recipe has been in my family for years and it’s super exciting to be able to share it with all of you!
Broccoli rabe is definitely an acquired taste. I hated it for years growing up and could never understand how my family could eat it. Now I can’t get enough of it. Crumble up some sausage (in this case, chicken sausage) with it and top it with parmesan cheese and I’m a total gavone 🙂
A few ingredients is all you need to whip this pasta with broccoli rabe recipe up. I got the Orecchiette from Vitamia and Sons (you can find them on Facebook here). It was delicious!
15 minutes and you’ll be chowing down on this healthy pasta dish. Bon appetite!
THE KEY TO TAKING THE BITTERNESS OUT OF BROCCOLI RABE
If you’re looking to take the bitterness out of the broccoli rabe, there’s just one thing you need to remember to do…
DRIZZLE THE EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL OVER THE BROCCOLI RABE BEFORE YOU ADD THE BROTH, WINE AND RED PEPPER…THAT’S THE KEY!
Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
- 1 lb chicken sausage crumbled
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb orecchiette
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 cup white wine dry, crisp
- ⅛ tsp red pepper optional
- parmesan cheese shredded
- Heat a large pot with salted water until boiling.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. When heated, add the sausage. Cook on medium heat 4-5 minutes until browned. =
- Add the garlic cook for a minute or until fragrant. Add the broccoli rabe and sprinkle the broccoli with the rest of the olive oil before adding the rest of the ingredients to the pan.
- Add the wine and bring to a boil. Cook off for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and red pepper flakes. Cover the pot and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- While the broccoli rabe cooks, add the orecchiette to the pot of boiling water. Follow instructions and cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pot of broccoli rabe. Mix until all combined and cook for a minute or two.
- Serve hot in bowls with Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese!
The best broccoli rabe recipe