What’s better than a hearty meal that’s both delicious and good for you? This Mexican chicken bowl and quinoa recipe is full of flavor, loaded with superfoods, vitamins and minerals, and is easy to prepare too! Win-win-win!
Ground chicken, quinoa, garlic, jalapeños, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chicken broth, white wine, avocado, chili powder, ground cumin, lime juice, cilantro, and hot sauce. Yeah baby!
I’m not gonna lie…I was honestly surprised how good this quinoa recipe was. Very flavorful and the spices were just right!
For those of you who have been following me for a while, you know I will typically use brown rice. But quinoa really is a superfood - it’s high in protein, fiber and provides a good amount of vitamins and minerals including iron and potassium to name a few.
There’s already a bit of kick in this dish from the jalapenos…but if you need some more try this hot chili sauce. Hot stuff!
Tools I used in this recipe:
Mexican Chicken Bowl and Quinoa
- 1 ½ lb ground chicken
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 1 cup chicken broth low-sodium
- ½ cup white wine dry, crisp
- 15 oz black beans
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn canned or fresh
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa as directed. Set aside covered.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a medium pan. Once heated, cook chicken until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside covered.
- Without cleaning the pan, add the garlic and jalapeños (add a little more olive oil if needed). Cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, wine, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Add the chicken, quinoa, avocado, lime juice, hot sauce, cilantro, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until you reach your desired thickness.
- Serve hot in bowls. Sprinkle with some cilantro if you’d like!