Is there anything that cheese doesn't make better? How about an Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwich? Yes, please!
When I think of an Italian sausage and peppers sandwich...I think of the Feast of San Gennaro, the ballparks, and the street vendors in New York City. But this sausage and peppers sandwich is one that'll make you think you're sitting down the third base line at Yankee Stadium! "Get ya sausage and peppers here!"
What is the best way to cook sausages?
Let's face it, there's a lot of different ways you can cook sausage...and there is no right or wrong way. You can bake it in the oven, you can grill them on the barbecue or you can fry them in a pan. I have, and will typically use all three methods throughout the year when I make sausage.
For this sausage and peppers sandwich I chose to fry them. Later you'll see that I add a little bit of crushed tomatoes to the pot and let them cook in the sauce for a bit. It helps add to the flavor!
How do you make an Italian sausage and peppers sandwich?
I'm salivating just thinking about writing up this recipe lol. It's really super easy though.
First, start cooking your sausage. You have the option of keeping the sausages whole, or cutting them up into smaller pieces. For this sausage and peppers recipe, I cut them up so you don't need to cook them all the way through here, because we'll be cooking them in a little sauce later. Just brown them up on all sides for now, remove them from the pot and let them sit for five minutes.
Then, using the same pot that you used to cook the sausage, add the peppers and onions. Season with some salt and pepper and cook for about five minutes or so until they begin to get soft. Then add some garlic.
As the vegetables cook, start slicing the sausage on an angle into small pieces about ½ inch or so thick. They will still be raw here, but again we're going to finish cooking them in some tomato sauce.
Next, add some oregano and the crushed tomatoes to the pot of vegetables.
And then the sliced sausages.
Cook on low/medium heat for about 15-20 minutes until the sausages are no longer pink inside or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Now here comes the best part...assembling the sandwich and adding the cheese! Grab an Italian roll and stuff that bad boy with sausage and peppers.
Finally, top with the mozzarella cheese and throw in the oven or toaster oven for a few minutes until melted and enjoy!
Tools I used in this recipe:
Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwich
Make the sausage and peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a drop of olive oil in a Dutch oven. Once heated, add the sausage and begin browning. Cook for about 7-10 minutes and once browned, remove from pan and let rest for 5 minutes.
- As the sausage rest, add the peppers and onions to the same pot used to cook the sausage. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes or so. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- While the vegetables cook, start slicing the sausages on an angle into ½ inch slices.
- Add the oregano, crushed tomatoes, and crushed red pepper to the pot of vegetables along with the sliced sausage. Bring to a slow boil and then drop the heat and cook on low/medium for about 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the sausages reaches 165 degrees.
Assemble the sandwich
- Grab a hero and add the sausage and peppers mixture to the roll. Add the sliced mozzarella cheese on top. Place the sandwich on a piece of tin foil or a small baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes until the mozzarella melts and the bread is crispy.