Ever wonder how to make cannoli cream? It's much easier than you think.
Ever wonder how to make cannoli cream? I've learned that it's really much easier than you think. A few ingredients and a little bit of prep time and you'll be enjoying this favorite Italian dessert.
I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but there's something about cannolis that make it hard to resist. So sweet...and those mini chocolate chips??? Delicious! Betcha can't eat just one of these mini treats.
What is cannoli filling made of?
- Ricotta cheese - get whole milk ricotta. Although it's tempting to go with part skim for less fat, you'll be glad you did.
- Whipping cream - a little bit is all you need to get that nice, sweet flavor.
- Confectioners sugar - a must for any cannoli cream recipe.
- Pure vanilla extract - a little goes a long way.
- Mini chocolate chips - the finishing touch!
Damn! Doesn't that look amazing?
So how do you make cannoli cream?
Like I said...it's really not hard. First, you need to whip the cream. This is so easy to do...it just takes a little patience.
Pour the whipping cream into a bowl and start whisking it. The more you whisk, the more it will start to thicken up. Whisk for about 5-7 minutes until you have a nice creamy whipped cream.
Next, transfer the whipped cream to a small bowl and set aside. Then, in the large bowl used to whip the cream, add the ricotta cheese, the powdered sugar and the vanilla extract. Using an electronic hand mixer, begin blending until mixed thoroughly.
What's the key to a good cannoli cream?
The key to a good cannoli cream is proper straining of the ricotta cheese. You want to try and let it strain for at least 8 hours or preferably overnight to ensure you get that good cannoli texture. If you have a cheesecloth bag you can use that, if not a strainer will do in a pinch.
Once the ricotta is all mixed together, add the whipped cream and the chocolate chips. Mix by hand until all combined and refrigerate the cream for a few hours before you start filling.
Once the cream has chilled for a few hours, here comes the fun part...filling the cannolis. Add the cannoli cream to either a pastry bag, or even a gallon size plastic bag with the corner tip cut off (which is what I used here).
Either way, get ready for some fun "filled" excitement!
Finally, squeeze the bag and fill each side of the cannoli with the cream.
Enjoy...Kylie (the Mini Guinea) certainly did! 🙂
Tools I used in this recipe:
How to Make Cannoli Cream (quick and easy)
- Gallon sized ziploc or pastry bag
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 15 oz ricotta cheese whole milk, strained
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips milk or dark chocolate
- Pour the whipping cream into a large mixing bowl. Start whisking by hand. Slow to start at first and then pick up the speed as the cream begins to thicken. Whisk until you have a nice, thick creamy texture.
- Transfer the cream to a small bowl and set aside. In the same large mixing bowl, add the strained ricotta cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Using the electronic mixer, start mixing until it's all mixed together.
- Once mixed, add the whipped cream and the chocolate chips. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cream to a pastry bag or gallon-sized plastic bag (with the corner tip cut).
- Fill each side of the cannolis.