There is one problem with this healthy goulash recipe…it’s so good that I tend to shovel it in my mouth way too fast! Other than that, there’s a lot to love about this dish. It’s fast, it’s tasty, and it’s a meal the whole family will enjoy.
My mother-in-law, Lorin, came up with this recipe, hence the recipe’s name…Mother-In-Law Goulash. Just a few ingredients is all you need to make this dish. It’ll be on your dinner table in no time.
Using gluten-free, brown rice elbow macaroni is one of the ways we keep this dish on the healthier side. It’s high in fiber and protein and in a dish like this, it’s hard to even notice the difference.
Ingredients for Mother-In-Law Goulash
- Brown rice elbow macaroni - 1 lb
- Grass-fed ground beef - 1 lb
- Chopped onion - 1
- Chopped garlic - 2-3 cloves
- Green beans (chopped into 1 inches pieces) - 1 cup
- 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 15 oz can of tomato soup
Healthy Goulash (Family Recipe)
- Heat a pot of salted water. Cook brown rice pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in large pan of small Dutch oven. Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Once browned, drain meat, remove from the pan and set aside in a bowl. Cover.
- Add the garlic, onion and green beans to the pan. Add some olive oil to the pan if need be. Cook for 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Add the can of tomato sauce and tomato soup to the vegetables. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to medium.
- Add the ground beef back to the pan along with the cooked pasta. Mix altogether and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until heated through.
- Serve hot in a bowl. Top with l Parmesan cheese if desired.