Burritos are one of my favorite Mexican foods and this ground turkey burrito with black beans really hits the spot! Loaded with meat, beans, veggies, and your favorite toppings...a good burrito will leave even the 'healthiest' of eaters declining seconds. This is a tasty burrito...and one of the easiest to make too!
Let's start by sautéing some veggies. My healthy turkey and black bean burrito is always a bit more complicated since my kids don't eat onions so I have to cook the carrots and onions in separate pans. But if you don't have that "problem"...fry 'em all together.
Let's go ahead and start browning the turkey meat. Throw some salt and pepper on it and start cooking it with the vegetables.
You can substitute ground beef (I did the first time I cooked this for the fam) or even chicken if you prefer, but turkey works just fine for me.
Don't ask me why but I decided to make our burritos with buckwheat as a grain instead of rice. Feel free to use rice instead, but buckwheat has a number of health benefits and is a good option if you're looking for something a little different.
Time to add the black beans and get that extra fiber kick! The Mini Guineas are disgusted by the thought of having an actual full-sized bean in their burrito so I have mash mine up to "disguise" them a bit.
If you have kids, grab your handy masher and get to work. Something like this should do the trick.
We're almost done preparing the meat. Let's add the gluten-free seasoning and mix it all together. Feel free to add a bit of water or broth to this to give it the consistency you're looking for.
Add the corn and the cooked buckwheat now.
And now add the cooked onions back into the meat mixture if you had to cook them separate.
Let's finish this bad boy! Add the meat to a tortilla with the toppings of your choice. We had shredded cheddar cheese and salsa. Wrap that baby up and let's start toasting the outside.
Throw a little olive oil in a non-stick pan and start browning the tortillas.
The finished product! Enjoy!
Tools I used in this recipe:
- All-Clad Stainless Steel Fry Pan
- Farberware 3 Quart Saucepan
- Misen 10" Non-Stick Pan
- Misen 10" Skillet
- Heavy Duty Masher
- Pyrex Measuring Cups
Ground Turkey Burrito with Black Beans
- Cook the rice/buckwheat as per the instructions. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a medium pan. When heated, add the carrots and onions. Cook until soft - about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the turkey meat. Season with salt & pepper. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until brown.
- Add the beans and seasoning. Cook for about 3-5 minutes and until all mixed together. Scoop into a large bowl and wipe out the pan.
- Add the corn and the rice/buckwheat to the meat mixture. Mix all together until thoroughly combined and heated through. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place a tortilla on a large cutting board. Add about 2 tbsp of cheese, a few spoonfuls of the meat mixture, the rice, and any other toppings you’d like.
- Roll the tortilla into a tight oval shaped wrap.
- In the pan used to cook the meat (or a separate non-stick pan), heat a ¼ tsp of olive oil and when hot, add the burrito, turning from time to time and lightly brown all sides.