Easy to make, this garlicky, ginger chicken soup is a new keeper in my kitchen. Packed with garlic, ginger, and tumeric, this homemade chicken soup with ginger is sure to help fight off even the toughest of sniffles.
There’s just something about the home smelling like chicken soup. The sweet and garlicky aroma just lets you know that you’re in store for a great meal!
When you’re cooking chicken soup it’s always a good idea to make leftovers. Oftentimes, leftovers taste better the next day because all that flavor gets extra time to soak in. I LOVE leftover chicken soup.
This is my go-to pot when making chicken soup. The 7.5 quart Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. It’s a serious pot with tons of room to add loads of chicken, veggies and broth. All you need to cook up this homemade chicken soup recipe. If you’re in the market for a great Dutch Oven, you can’t go wrong with Lodge and you can grab this exact one here.
Ginger Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 lb chicken thighs boneless, skinless; chicken breasts work too
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- ⅔ cup peas frozen; optional
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp ginger fresh
- 6 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 10 oz small pasta tubettini, ditalini, orzo, etc
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the garlic, carrots, onions, and celery. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are soft
- Add the ginger and turmeric. Cook for 30 seconds or a minute until fragrant
- Add the chicken stock, chicken, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until cooked through
- While the chicken cooks, heat a pot of water until boiling. Cook the tubettini al dente, drain and set aside
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from the pot and shred the chicken using 2 forks
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot and add the frozen peas
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes until peas are soft and hot. Serve hot over the pasta with Parmesan cheese.