Ahh...the chicken quesadilla. So much to love about them. You can order them as an appetizer and as a main course. You can top them so many different types of toppings. You can load 'em up with veggies. You can eat 'em with your hands! There's not too many things in this world I love to eat more than chicken quesadillas. Easy chicken quesadillas...FO SHIZZLE!
It's no wonder Napolean Dynamite loved chicken quesadillas so much.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN QUESADILLA
Rotel diced tomatoes with chilis - if you've never had Rotel diced tomatoes before...just know that these are ridonculous! I use the Mild version cause the kids don't like hot food, but Rotel makes a bunch of different varieties you can choose from. Go with what you like here, but DO NOT skip out on the Rotel!
HOW TO COOK THEM
Step 1 - Cook the veggies. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. When hot, add the onions and cook until they begin to soften. Then, add the peppers and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Step 2 - Add the cooked chicken. After the vegetables are soft, add your shredded chicken to the pan.
Step 3 - Add the spices. Chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, oregano. Add them to the pan now and mix until thoroughly combined.
Step 4 - Add the tomatoes and beans. It's time to add the rest of the ingredients, so g'head and add the Rotel diced tomatoes and black beans. Mix until everything is thoroughly combined. Set aside.
Step 5 - Make the quesadilla. Heat a non-stick fry pan on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Once the pan is hot, add one of the flour tortillas. Then add a handful of cheese, then the meat mixture, then more cheese, and finally another flour tortilla. Cook until crispy, then flip and cook the other side.
TIPS, TRICKS, FAQS
ADD CHIA SEED OR FLAXSEED MEAL FOR EXTRA PROTEIN/FIBER
My kids have no clue what goes into a chicken quesadilla. So, anytime I'm looking for an extra boost of protein or fiber, I'll add a tbsp of either chia seeds or flaxseed meal to the seasoning. There's not enough taste in either one of them to overpower the rest of the flavors we have going on in the quesadilla. I would never tell you to lie to your kids...but you sure as hell don't have to tell them the truth lol!
Use a large plate to help flip the quesadilla
I used to be the guy who tried using two spatulas to flip my quesadilla so I can cook the other side. It'd usually turn out to be a disaster. Would burn myself or be covered in cheese. The wife and kids would get a kick out of it but it didn't do me any good when trying to make a nice dinner. So now, I got smart and use a plate.
When you're ready to flip the quesadilla, take the largest circular plate you have and place it right on top of the non-stick pan. Hold the pan handle with one hand while keeping the other hand on top of the bottom of the plate. Hold them together and flip! Now you can use a spatula to slide the uncooked side of the quesadilla back into the pan. No mess...no stress!
WHAT KIND OF CHICKEN SHOULD I USE?
Any kind of boneless chicken will do. I like using chicken breasts, but if you're more of a dark meat kinda person, thighs will work too. You can even use a store bought rotisserie chicken if you're pressed for time. That stuff easily peels off the bone so it's definitely a good option too. You can fry the chicken, bake it, boil it or my personal favorite...air fry that ish!
WHAT TOPPINGS GO WELL WITH CHICKEN QUESADILLAS?
Avocado, guacamole, sour cream or yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeños.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
If you think these chicken quesadillas are LEGIT...you'll also enjoy my Healthy Turkey Tacos, this Mexican Turkey Casserole with Green Beans and my Chicken and Cheese Taquitos.
So, how were these easy chicken quesadillas? Would definitely appreciate if you leave a comment below and let me know what you thought! Always love hearing from you guys...and don't worry I'm an Italian from New Jersey...I got thick skin!
Also, feel free to FOLLOW ME on Instagram for Reels, Stories, and cooking chaos, Pinterest for some sweet pics and content, and Facebook for LIVE cooking during the week!
Easy Chicken Quesadilla
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup bell pepper diced
- 2 lbs cooked chicken shredded
- 2 can Rotel diced tomatoes with chilis any version
- 15 oz canned black beans rinsed
- 4 cups cheddar cheese shredded; can use other melting cheese too
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or flaxseed meal optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. When hot, add the onions and green peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the cooked shredded chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. Then add the rest of the seasoning. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the Rotel tomatoes and black beans. Mix and heat through. Once hot, set aside.
- Spray the non-stick pan with some cooking spray (or grease with a little oil) and heat on medium heat. Once hot, add 1 flour tortilla to the pan.
- Add a handful of the grated cheese on top of the tortilla, then add ¼ of the chicken mixture, then another layer of cheese. Finally, top with a 2nd tortilla.
- Cook on one side of the tortilla for about 2-3 minutes, being careful not to burn. Then, take a large circular plate (larger than the non-stick pan) and lay it on top of the pan. Remove the pan from heat, and with one hand holding the pan handle, and the other on top of the plate holding firmly to the pan, flip. Return the pan to the heat and using a spatula, slide the tortilla back into the pan, uncooked side down. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- This recipe makes 4 pretty large chicken quesadillas. The last time I made these it fed 5 of us (3 adults and 2 children) with a few slices left over.
- Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking method and ingredients used. It's advised you calculate your own nutritional values if needed.
Chicken Quesadillas are my fav…love this recipe