DAMN…what is it about classic chicken pot pie that really gets me pumped? The creamy filling, the warmth of the chicken and vegetables, the crunch of the pie crust. Probably ‘all of the above’, but whatever it is, it’s a chicken pot pie recipe you won’t want to miss.
It’s gotta be my favorite comfort food of all time. I found this chicken pot pie recipe online at Taste of Home and it was so delicious I had to share it here. Enjoy every fork (or spoon) full.
Just getting the chicken ready for some awesome-sauce!
Seriously…this 9” Pyrex pie bowl could barely fit everything I put into this pie but it’s a trooper. If you’re in the market for a good pie bowl, you can buy this Pyrex one here. Chicken pot pie for days!
Want the SECRET to keeping the filling inside the pie???
Fold the edges of the top layer over the bottom layer before you ‘pinch’ it together. I found that that works very well in keeping all that goodness inside.
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cup potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 ¾ cup carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup butter
- ⅔ cup onion chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- ¾ tsp pepper
- 3 cup chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 ½ cup milk low-fat
- 4 cups chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 1 cup peas frozen
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 4 sheets pie crust refrigerated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Put the carrots and potatoes in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes & carrots cook, in a large skillet heat the butter and add the onion. Cook until soft.
- Add the flour and spices and stir together until mixed.
- Add the broth and milk and bring to a boil. Stir continuously until thickened.
- While the mixture thickens, unroll 2 pie sheets in (2) 9 inch pie plates.
- Add the chicken, carrots, potatoes, peas, corn to the skillet. Remove from heat and mix thoroughly.
- Once mixed, add mixture to the pies and cover the filling with the other pie sheets. Trim, seal and flute edges and cut 4 skits in the top of each pie.
- Bake pies for about 35-40 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Let pies cool for about 5 minutes, slice and serve hot! Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.