Sausage and peppers is one of the greatest food inventions ever made! By using chicken sausage, we can make it more healthy, without sacrificing taste. Can’t ask for much more than that!
I love a nice sausage and peppers sandwich. My wife, Michele, on the other hand likes to have it in a bowl to avoid the extra carbs. But I gotta tell ya…there’s nothing like a sausage and peppers sandwich on a soft roll. The only thing missing from this sandwich is the mozzarella cheese…but feel free to add it if you’d like 🙂
Easy prep for this sausage and peppers recipe! I’ve had my J.A. Henckels Ever Edge knives for literally over a decade, and though I’m in the market for a new set, this one hasn’t failed me yet.
I can’t find my exact set because it was so long ago, but if you’re looking for a great starter set of cutlery, look no further than J.A. Henckels. This one is a great set to get you started.
I found this chicken sausage from a place called Esposito’s Finest Sausage in New York City. SO GOOD! And the little links worked very well when I cut them up into bite size pieces! Well done Esposito’s!
Chicken Sausage and Peppers
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. When heated, add the sausage and cook on medium heat, until all sides are browned. About 7 minutes or so. Remove from pan, set aside and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and onions to the pan. Cook until they are softened - about 5 minutes.
- Add the oregano, basil, and garlic. Mix thoroughly and cook until fragrant - about a minute or two.
- While the herbs cook, cut the sausages into small pieces - about an inch or so wide.
- Add the tomato paste to the vegetables and spices and mix thoroughly.
- Once the paste is mixed in, return the sausages to the pan of vegetables along with the diced tomatoes, white wine, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Bring to a slight boil, lower the heat and cook on low for about 15 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Serve hot (rolls optional). Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.