This Chicken Broccolini Pasta is a recipe you'll want to go to every night...but you really shouldn't 🙂
Nothing like some chicken broccolini pasta on a Friday night! This recipe has so three of my favorite ingredients in it (four if you count the wine lol)...chicken cutlet, broccolini, and of course pasta! So much flavor and easy to make.
How do you cook pasta with broccolini and chicken?
Great question! First, let's start with the most time consuming part of this recipe, breading and cooking the chicken cutlets. Since it takes the most time, let's get that going first. To keep the cooking time down, I pound the chicken as thin as I can.
While you're preparing the chicken, put up a pot of salted water for the penne. Start cooking that and cook until the pasta is al dente. Drain and set aside.
I like to use pie plates when getting the breading ready...one with flour, one with beaten eggs, and the last for the breadcrumbs.
First, let's dip in the flour.
Next, let's add the egg.
Finally, the breadcrumb.
Ready to fry. Cook them up and set them aside for at least five minutes. I do this with all my breaded chicken cutlet recipes, including my Breaded Chicken Cutlet and Mashed Potatoes recipe.
While the chicken sits, add some more olive oil to the pot and cook until fragrant. Add the broccolini and cook for 1-2 minutes and then add some white wine (try and use a dry, crisp wine like Pinot Grigio) and some chicken broth. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and cook for a few minutes.
Add a few stems of fresh thyme and continue cooking until the broccolini begins to soften.
Now while the broccolini cooks, take your cooked chicken cutlets and start cutting them up into little cubes.
Add them, as well as the cooked penne back to the pot of cooked broccolini. Coming along nicely!!!
Mix all together, raise the heat to medium, and cook through until the chicken cutlet and pasta are both warm. Add more chicken broth (or wine 🙂 as needed to reach your desired consistency with the sauce.
Tools I used in this recipe:
- Lodge 7.5 Quart Dutch Oven
- Rachael Ray Pasta Pot
- J.K. Adams Butterfly Carving Board
- KP Kitchen Measuring Cups/Spoons
- Misen Chef's Knife
Chicken Broccolini Pasta Recipe
- Put up a large pot of boiling, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook the penne to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Prep the chicken - in 3 separate baking plates, add the flour in one, beaten egg in the other, and breadcrumbs in the last.
- Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. One at a time, run both sides of the chicken through the flour (shake off any excess), then the egg, then finally the breadcrumbs. Set aside on a plate until all the chicken is breaded.
- In a large Dutch Oven, heat half of the olive oil. Once heated, add the chicken to the pot - working in batches if necessary. Cook chicken until both sides are brown and crispy (about 4-5 minutes a side) or until completely cooked through. Set cooked cutlets aside and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Carefully wipe the same Dutch Oven clean and heat the remaining olive oil. Once heated, add the garlic and cook. Once fragrant (about 30 seconds), add the broccolini to the pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the white wine and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, drop the heat to low and simmer until the broccolini is soft (about 5-7 minutes). Add the fresh thyme twigs.
- While the sauce cooks, chop the chicken cutlets into 1 inch cubes.
- After the broccolini cooks, add the chicken and the pasta to the Dutch Oven. Mix thoroughly and cook until both the chicken and pasta are heated through. Adding more chicken broth as necessary to reach your desired consistency.