Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below/on the side are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I have used all the products listed and recommend them because they are helpful and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.
These Healthy Turkey Tacos will give a new meaning to Taco Tuesday and will make you feel good about serving them to your family. Fun to make, fun to eat, and bursting with flavor…these healthy turkey tacos will have you wishing it was Tuesday everyday.
Made with gluten-free seasoning and ‘sneaking’ in some veggies is a great way to keep this a healthy ‘go-to’ option every week!
I love adding Chia Seeds to my taco seasoning! They’re one healthy superfood, loaded with fiber, protein and antioxidants to name a few. The best part is…the kids have no idea they’re even in there..
Start by cooking the vegetables. The carrots first…
…and then add the riced cauliflower (or riced broccoli) if you prefer. Sometimes I’ll even add in shaved brussels sprouts in there too.
Now add the turkey meat. I don’t add salt or pepper in my taco seasoning, so now’s the time to add those right to the meat.
Cook for about 5-7 minutes until the turkey meat is browned.
Once the meat is browned, add the can of black beans. The trick with the black beans is to mash them up using a heavy duty masher so the kids, once again, don’t even realize they’re in there.
Once the beans are mashed, add the gluten-free taco seasoning. Mix it all in and you’re pretty much home free!
Add whatever toppings you’d like and enjoy this simple, healthy turkey taco recipe!
I like using low fat yogurt in place of sour cream to ensure we’re getting the healthiest meal we can. Delicious and healthy!
I personally like using whole wheat soft wraps for my tacos (took my eye off this one for a bit too long 🙂 …but my wife loves using Romaine lettuce to make her tacos. Either way you’re in for a healthy treat!
Tools I used in this recipe:
- All-Clad Stainless Steel Fry Pan
- Misen Chef’s Knife
- J.K. Adams Reversible Butterfly Carving Board
- KP Kitchen Measuring Cups/Spoons
- Riveira Wooden Cooking Utensils
Healthy Turkey Tacos
- Skillet or Fry Pan
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 15 oz black beans canned
- 2 cup riced broccoli can used riced cauliflower too
- 1 cup shredded carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- soft tortillas or hard tacos can use romaine lettuce too
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp chia seeds can use flaxseed meal too
- Add all the seasoning together in a bowl. Set aside
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add the veggie of your choice and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft
- Add the chicken/turkey to the pan – season with salt & pepper. Cut the meat up and toss around until browned – about 7-10 mins
- Once the meat is browned, add the can of black beans
- OPTIONAL STEP – using a masher, mash up the meat & beans mixture until the beans are all split and mashed up (this is how we hide it from our kids lol)
- Add the seasoning to the meat and mix all together – cook for another 3-4 minutes or until your desired texture