Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below/on the side are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I have used all the products listed and recommend them because they are helpful and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.
Sloppy Joe’s are a real special treat! The great thing about this sloppy joe’s recipe though is that it’s made with ground chicken and not ground beef. Keeping sloppy joe’s on the healthier side makes it a no-brainer when choosing what to cook for dinner.
It’s only fitting to quote the cafeteria lady in Billy Madison with this recipe, “have some more Sloppy Joe’s…I made em’ extra sloppy for ya”
BBQ sauce, tomato paste, onions, water…just a few simple ingredients and you’re on your way to a great meal loaded with flavor.
Tools I used in this recipe:
- All-Clad Stainless Steel Pan
- Swivel Peeler
- Pyrex Mixing Bowls
- Pyrex Custard Cups
- KP Kitchen Measuring Spoons
Ground Chicken Sloppy Joes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup onion minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- hamburger buns or any roll you prefer
- Heat the oil in a medium pan. When heated, add the ground chicken. Cook until browned – about 5-7 minutes.
- Once browned, drain meat and place in a bowl. Set aside and cover.
- With the liquid from the meat still in the pan, add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes until the paste gets dark red.
- Add the water, scrape up any of the find and cook for a minute.
- Add the meat back to the pan along with the barbecue sauce. Mix thoroughly and cook on medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Serve hot making a sandwich with the hamburger buns!