The best Buffalo Chicken Sandwich? I've had many in my day and this one is definitely right up there at the top!
Ahh...this may be the best Buffalo chicken sandwich! Every time I eat one it reminds me of college (not that I remember much lol), but I do remember eating a boat-load of these. Enjoy sinking your teeth into this spicy, crunchy and downright awesome Buffalo Chicken sandwich!
I love sandwiches, but I also love mixing it up a bit too. If you're a gyro fan like me, you have to try my Tasty Chicken Gyro with Creamy Avocado Sauce.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Corn flake crumbs
- Buffalo sauce
- Brioche buns
The best Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Step 1 - Make the breadcrumb/cornflake mixture. In a large bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, corn flake crumbs, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Step 2 - Prep the chicken. Pat the chicken dry. Then brush some olive oil on them until they are fully covered.
Step 3 - Bread the chicken...and again. The key to an extra crispy crunch, dredge twice! Run the chicken through the breadcrumb/corn flake mixture until both sides are fully covered. Then using an olive oil spray, spray both sides of the breaded chicken and dredge again!
Step 4 - Cook the chicken. Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees. Add your chicken and cook until the temperature reaches 165 degrees with a meat thermometer.
Step 5 - Make the spicy mayonnaise. In a bowl, mix the mayo, hot sauce, and cayenne pepper. Go ahead...put some stank on it! Set aside.
Step 6 - Chow down! Slap your sandwich together and add your favorite toppings. Be prepared to sweat!
My game-changing ingredient
Kellogg's Corn Flakes Crumbs - looking for an extra crunch? Then you'll definitely want to coat your chicken in these Kellogg's Corn Flakes Crumbs. Don't get me wrong, I love breadcrumbs but these little crunchies are just what you need.
Nope. I love making this in the air fryer because of how crispy it comes out, but you absolutely don't need one. If you choose not to use it (or don't have one), just fry it in a skillet. Heat some oil with a higher smoke point (vegetable, light olive oil, canola, etc) and fry it for about 5-7 minutes or so a side and cook until you reach an internal temp of 165 degrees. It will come out just as good.
French fries, potato salad, corn on the cob, baked beans, pasta salad. Take your pick!
This recipe calls for double 'breading' and it's definitely worth the extra few minutes to do it. That second layer of crumbs adds an extra crispiness that you'll be sure to notice. If you're pressed for time, go with one…but if you have that extra five minutes to spare, double up!
Other recipes you might like
Love me a big ole sandwich! You too? Try this BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich or my Air Fryer Chicken Pesto Sandwich with Sauteed Onions.
Ok, so if you made this Best Buffalo Chicken Sandwich...would definitely appreciate if you leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. Don't worry I'm an Italian from New Jersey...I got thick skin!
Also, feel free to FOLLOW ME on Instagram for some real life cooking and chaos, Pinterest for some sweet pics and content, and Facebook for LIVE cooking during the week!
Best Buffalo Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- 4 pieces chicken breast boneless, skinless; each about ½ thick
- 2 tbsp olive oil use 1 tbsp from an olive oil spray (optional)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ cup breadcrumbs seasoned
- ½ cup Kelloggs corn flake crumbs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Franks hot sauce
- 4 brioche buns
- Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees.
- Pat the chicken dry. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a small bowl. Using a basting brush (can use your hands too if you don't have one), cover both sides of the chicken in olive oil.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, corn flake crumbs, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, ½ tsp of the cayenne pepper, onion powder and paprika. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- One piece at a time, dredge the chicken into the breadcrumb/corn flake mixture until both sides are covered. Once you dredge all the chicken, using an olive oil spray, spray one side of one piece of chicken (you can also use the brush again and gently baste so you don't lose any of the first round of crumbs). Add that piece back into the breadcrumb mixture (wet side down) and spray the other side. Flip the chicken and coat the other side. Repeat until all the chicken pieces are double coated with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer and cook until the internal temperature on a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. If your chicken is about ½ inch thick, this should take about 15 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, make the spicy mayo. In a medium sized bowl, add the mayonnaise, Frank's red hot sauce, and the remaining cayenne. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Remove the chicken when it's finished cooking and place on one of the brioche buns. Top with mayonnaise and any additional toppings you prefer.
- This recipe makes 4 sandwiches.
- Optional toppings: red onion, lettuce, pickle chips, tomato, bleu cheese, ranch dressing, more hot sauce, sliced cheese.
- Feel free to use ALL corn flakes crumbs for this recipe and eliminate the breadcrumbs altogether!
- Nutritional information provided is based on a best guess-timate and will vary depending on the brands you use and other variations you take with this recipe. It is recommended you check your exact measurements to come up with your own figures.
Leave a Reply