This BBQ pulled chicken sandwich with homemade cole slaw dressing was absolutely fantasic! Serve this on a roll or eat it in a bowl, either way you’ll enjoy the combination of heat from the chicken and coolness from the slaw.
Bursting with flavor this barbecue pulled chicken recipe uses just a few ingredients. It’s so easy to make that you’ll be putting this on your dining room table more often than you think.
Making shredded chicken is so easy to do. Cook it through, let it sit for 5 minutes and tear apart using 2 forks. Easy peasy!
I made this homemade coleslaw dressing using just 4 ingredients. Vinegar, yogurt, lemon juice, a dash of maple syrup, and some salt and pepper. It’s so easy and such a healthy alternative to regular coleslaw dressing.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY COLESLAW DRESSING
- Whole plain yogurt (3.5% +) - ¾ cup
- Ume Plum vinegar (regular red vinegar works too) - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tbsp
- Salt - ¾ tsp
- Pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl and pour over coleslaw. Mix thoroughly.
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT…HEALTHY HOMEMADE COLESLAW DRESSING!
Sandwiches are some of my favorite meals, but I'm a huge fan of gyros too. If you like gyros, you have to try my Tasty Chicken Gyro with Creamy Avocado Sauce.
BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich
- In a large bowl, add the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce and mix together. Set aside.
- Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and add the shallot and chili powder.
- Add the ketchup mixture to the pan and the chicken. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer covered for about 5-7 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook for another 5-7 minutes until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken and let sit for 5 minutes. Continue to cook the sauce, stirring occasionally on low heat.
- While the chicken sits, in a medium bowl add the slaw dressing ingredients and mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl, add the slaw and top with the dressing. Set aside or place in the refrigerator until ready.
- With two forks, shred the chicken into little strands. Add the shredded chicken back to the pan of BBQ sauce. Mix all together and heat through.